04 February 2008

Whaddyaknow? My Name's Also a Moon

When I was younger, everytime I ask my mom where she got my name, she would tell me pointblank that its from a comic book (during their time, "komiks" can be rented from your friendly neighborhood sari sari store). So that's my press release when I was growing up.

In high school, my explanation would become more "sosi" that everytime the same question would come up, I would answer, "...a Greek goddess, daughter of Uranus, the sky, and Gaia, the earth, in classical Greek mythology." *wink wink*

The other day, during a slow day, I googled my name. Expecting that the old Timor-Leste consultant ad would pop up (they used by email add as contact), lo and behold, somewhere in the results came back as one of Saturn's moons. WOW!!! This is new. As it turned out, its not actually new. It was discovered in 1672 by an Italian mathematician, astronomer, engineer, and astrologer Giovanni Cassini.


"Rhea is the second largest moon of Saturn, behind Titan, and the largest
without an atmosphere. It is composed mostly of water ice, but has a small rocky
core. Rhea's rotation and orbit are locked together (just like Earth's Moon) so
that one side always faces Saturn. A consequence of this is that one side always
leads the other. Rhea's leading surface is much more heavily cratered than its
trailing surface." From NASA

Here are some pics:


What do you know? Am I beautiful or what?
Pic from NASA


Am I gorgeous or what????

Also from NASA


Interesting, huh? You should google your name sometime *big grin*



2 comments:

Purple Pig! said...

ang ganda mo dun sa color blue! blue must be your magic color.

donna_chocnut said...

Oo naman, beautiful and gorgeous! =) Salamat sa new learning, moon pala ang Rhea.