20 October 2007

The 82nd Lord of Stormhold and the Star

I must say THE MOVIE IS BETTER THAN THE BOOK!!!

I first heard about Neil Gaiman when he visited Manila in 2005, the best selling author of Stardust, Coraline, American Gods, to name a few.

First, let me tell you what I think about the book. The book is odd...oddly strange but magically entertaining. I don't have to tell you about the summary since you can google about it anyway *Reeyah giving the smart a** look*

All I will say is that it's an adventure/fantasy book about family, friendship, romance, danger, adventure, magic and stupid things one will do for 'LOVE.'
Now who said adventure/fantasy books were only for kids? Haha.
A good read.

Now, about the movie. As I said, it's way, way better than the book. No kidding! Even if a lot of characters, scenes and details were omitted (e.g., Tommy Forester, Tristan's foster mother, 2 men guarding the break in the wall at all times, etc.), that characters in the movie were extended or elaborated (e.g., Captain Shakespeare played by Robert De Niro); and that it had a different ending, it did not change the essence of the story. I also noticed that even the name of Tristran (in the book) was changed (Tristan).
But I think the best thing about the movie was that it's super funny (and I hate to say it, the book was more serious). I enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't care if I was the only one laughing when we watched it =)

It's a must see film. So go and watch it. I know you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Movie poster from Flixter.com
Book cover pic from Powell.com

No comments: