07 May 2007

The D word (Part 2)

My mother has it. I have it.

I did have that "I will never have it" or the "that will never happen to me" syndrome. I never realized I was no wonder woman until I had it, and little did I know that I had the perfect combination for it: its in my genes, I had no exercise, I love sweets-soft drinks, cakes, ice creams (but hey, who doesn't?).

How did I find out. One of the benefits in the company I work for is the free annual physical exam which is done on our anniversary month (I got hired in February, a day after my birthday in 1998). After doing all the tests, we're given a final assessment (clinical examination, review and comment of tests, and advice). In 1999, in my medical history form (after the interview), the doctor noted that I should see a doctor "for consultation due to glucose findings" which was 10+ which I later found out was quite high.
From then on, I was given maintenance medicines--Diamicron MR & Glucophage 500. The Diamicron MR is taken everyday, 30 minutes before I eat breakfast and Glucophage 500 twice a day, one tablet 30 minutes after breakfast and then another tablet 30 minutes after dinner. My FBS (fasting blood sugar - no food or liquid 10 hours before blood extraction) is taken once a month to test my BS. Another test, HB1AC, is taken to measure my BS average for the last 3 months. That's how they find out if I'm taking my medicines or not (or if I'm eating right or not). Urinalysis is also routinely taken.
Having high BS level is not the only problem. I also have had hypoglycemic episodes, especially if I miss a meal. I know when my BS is low when I tremble, literally. I would slowly feel weak and would have that heavy feeling. That's a sign that I should eat something, right that very moment.
Seriously, it's not a disease that should be taken lightly. Just remember that there's no cure for it. If left uncontrolled, it can lead to heart problems, kidney failure and even worse, death.
So far, everything's been okay with me. I have been trying very hard to be more disciplined by lessening my intake of my favorites. My doctor said that I don't have to give up food that I love, but instead they should be taken in moderation. Although this is a big change for me, but for the sake of my health, I have to do it.
I must admit, it's hard to "try" to lead a healthy lifestyle, but I guess I just have to get used to it. I know it's boring but I eat oatmeal for breakfast (sometimes with coffee or just hot water). For lunch, I eat what I want (but of course I have to choose what I eat) plus water (I still do drink colas or juices once in a while but only during special occasions or if there's no water available and, if ever, just half a cup). If I get invited to a buffet treat, I choose what I eat and not fill myself too much.
My doctor also said that as long as I take my medicines, see her regularly, diet and exercise, eventually lose weight, I should be okay.

PS. Was just at the clinic yesterday morning, I saw all my tests and am happy to say that I passed them all with flying colors (in other words everything's UNDER CONTROL).

No comments: