14 June 2007

One Ball

Guess what? I recently joined ADB's ladies 3-on-3 basketball tournament. The game has the same rules as the regular men's streetball. Players can be called for traveling, foul, 3-second violation (these are the most common calls or violations during ladies game), etc. and only one side of the court is used. One significant rule in the half-court game is you have to remember to always "clear the ball." Supposing your team has ball possession and your shot attempt is a miss (but the ball touches the ring) and, let's just say the opposing team gets the rebound, that player cannot shoot the ball (same goes for her whole team), no matter how near she is to the ring. The rule is she has to take the ball out of the free throw area (that's "clearing the ball") and that's the only time they can attempt a new play. But if you have ball possession and miss the shot, and your team mate or you gets the rebound, you can shoot wherever you are (does not matter if the ball touched or did not touch the ring). But if the opposing team gets the rebound (and ball did not touch the ring), the opposing team can shoot the ball without "clearing the ball." Errmm, confusing? Just watch the games.

Voltz vs. Gems
Anyway, last 1 June was the first game of the tournament. I was with the Voltz team to play against the Gems. The game was played 2 periods of 10 minutes each. I did not invite friends to watch as I was a bit embarrassed bacause I'm not good at it (although I wanted them to watch because I knew it was going to be fun, well actually hilarious is the more appropriate term). Game time came and I was surprised to find that some of my closest friends came to watch. I was so embarrassed because they kept on calling my name (am not used to that kind of attention) but I was happy each time they cheered when I had ball possession and loudest when I made a basket (well actually 2 shots = 4 points). After 20 minutes of running around the court chasing that round object and trying to throw it on an elevated basket, it left us all breathless, almost zombie-like. It was like running for 2 hours non-stop on the treadmill or 2 hours of aerobics. The score was 33-27 in favor of the Gems. Although we lost, it was one riotous game. Thanks to my team mates, Therese, Mylene and Cynthia for fighting it out till the end and for their constant encouragement. And, of course, to all my friends who watched, jeered and cheered, Thank You. I look forward to the next game. See you on the 29th!!!!

Trivia: Did you know that James Naismith was the Canadian physical education instructor at Springfield College (which was then the Y.M.C.A. training school) who invented basketball in 1891? Under orders from Dr. Luther Gulick, head of Physical Education at the School for Christian Workers, James Naismith had 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction" for a rowdy class through the brutal New England winter (from About.com).


*Photos used with the permission of Ruel G.


No comments: